Choose how you want your app icons to appear
What there is to know
- In iOS 14, you can change the icon displayed for apps on your home screen.
- Use custom images or even images from your camera roll as icons for any app on your iPhone.
- You will customize your app icons using the Shortcuts app to create a custom shortcut.
This article covers how to customize the look of your iPhone app icons on iOS 14 using photos using images from your Camera Roll and the Shortcuts app.
In iOS 14, there is a lot you can do to customize the look of your home screen, including changing the images on your app icons. You can use any image you have in Photos. What some people like to do is find a set of photos they like and personalize their phone around those photos. If that’s your preference, first decide how many icons you want to customize, find enough images to have a different one for each icon, and then follow these instructions to customize those icons.
Before you begin the process of customizing your app icons, make sure your iPhone is updated to the most recent version of iOS 14 available.
- Open application Shortcuts. On newer versions of the iPhone, this app is probably already installed. On older iPhones, you may need to download it from the Apple App Store.
- Click on + icon (more) in the upper right corner of the Shortcuts app.
- On the new page Shortcut that appears, tap Add the action.
- In the search bar at the top of the page Suggestions which is displayed, type Open application to find the action that opens an app.
- From the Actions section of search results, tap Open App.
- Then in the section Scripting of the new key Shortcut To choose.
- Scroll through the list of available apps and choose the one for which you want to create a custom shortcut.
- You have returned to the page New Shortcut and the app name now appears in the section Scripting. Tap the three-dot menu near the top right corner.
- Press on Add to home screen.
- Under name and screen iconhome, press the X to the right of new shortcut to erase this text and add a name for your icon. If you name it something other than the name of the app, be sure to make it something you will remember.
- Tap the icon for the shortcut.
- Press on Choose photo. You can also press Take picture here and take a photo to use as the app icon image.
- Go to and select the image you want to use as the app icon.
- On the next screen, you can use pinch and drag to zoom in or out on the image until you have sized it the way you want. When you are finished, press To choose.
- Then press on Add.
- You will see a brief confirmation that your app shortcut has been added to your home screen, then you can close the shortcuts app and display your home screen to see your new icon.
To use the new shortcut with the custom app icon, you’ll probably want to remove the current app icon from your home screen (so there aren’t two icons for the same app). To do this, tap the icon of the app you want to remove and tap Remove app or, if you are deleting another shortcut, tap on Remove Bookmark.
Repeat this process for each of the apps you want to change on your Home screen. You can even change the icons for the apps in the dock (the menu bar at the bottom of the screen).