Eliminate the chaos of Zoom meetings on desktop or mobile
What there is to know
- On Windows: Click the Mute button (lower left corner of the screen) or press on ALT + A on the keyboard.
- On Mac: Click on the Mute button on the screen or press on Command + Shift + A.
- On mobile: Tap the screen, then tap on Mute (at the bottom left).
This article explains how to mute and mute or move or others during Zoom calls. Instructions cover Windows, Mac, and mobile devices for attendees and hosts.
The process differs depending on the device you are using.
It’s quick and easy: move your mouse across the Zoom window to display the menu bar at the bottom. In the lower left corner, click Mute. The button will change to show a red line through the microphone and say Unmute.
You can also use your keyboard to accomplish the same thing: on Windows, press ALT + A. On Mac, press on Command + Shift + A.
When using the keyboard, make sure that you are actively in the Zoom window or that the keys are not working. To do this, just click on the Zoom window anywhere to activate it.
When you need to talk, just show the button again and click Unmute to that everyone can hear or support you on ALT + A (Windows) or Shift + Command + A (Mac) on the keyboard.
Staying silent on a mobile device is easy, but you have to remember to tap the screen to find the command. Once you’ve done that, the same microphone icon will appear in the lower left corner of your screen. Press on Mute to shut up.
To turn off when you need to talk, tap the screen to open the control again, then tap on Unmute.
If you are the host and need to keep people quiet during a meeting, you can do so through the Participants section of the app. Follow these steps for windows, Mac or mobile devices:
- Hover your mouse over the Zoom screen.
- Click on Participants in the menu that appears at the bottom of the screen.
- In the right navigation menu that opens, you have two options:
- Click on Mute All at the bottom of the menu to mute everyone on the call.
- Go over the last name a guest, then click on Mute to next to his name to silence him. They’ll see a message on their screen saying you’ve muted them.
On a mobile device, you will see a pop-up menu when you select a guest. Simply click on Mute next to their name from this menu to individually silence someone.
To demut the others, repeat the above steps to open the Participants menu.
Your actions will be exactly the opposite: Anyone you’ve deaf will now display the option to turn off individually or you can select the Unmute All button at the bottom of the Participants screen.
When you do, the participant will see a message on their screen indicating that you have asked them not to come or to tell them that they are no longer being transferred. The message varies depending on the type of device used.
If you have an unmuted person but they still cannot be heard, they will need to respond to the message on their screen to unmute. This happens when a mobile device is used by the participant.