Whether you are an Apple user or not, you have inevitably already heard of iCloud which is none other than the storage service for Apple brand devices. But have you ever heard of iCloud Drive and know how to use it? If not, this article is for you.
What is iCloud Drive?
First of all, what is the difference between iCloud and iCloud Drive?
- iCloud refers to the cloud, otherwise known as “the cloud”, which represents the entire online storage system.
- iCloud Drive is the application that manages this cloud.
Super practical, iCloud Drive, which is therefore part of iCloud, allows you to benefit from a online storage service to keep your photos, videos, music, documents, etc. in one place. Functioning in the same way as a USB key, it offers you the possibility of find all your files from any iOS device (iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.) or with a Windows PC.
How much does iCloud Drive cost?
When you open an iCloud account, Apple gives you a 5 GB free storage. Take our word for it, these 5 GB fill up very quickly as long as you record music, take a lot of photos or videos or even work on your device and back up your files.
If you are a hyper connected user, you will probably need more storage space and to do this you can choose to upgrade your storage capacity. Several packages are thus possible:
- 5 GB: free
- 50 GB: 0.99 € / month
- 200 GB: € 2.99 / month
- 1 TB: € 9.99 / month
How to configure iCloud Drive?
Before using iCloud Drive, you must first of all have an Apple ID, a Internet connection active as well as up to date software on your devices.
How to activate iCloud Drive on iPhone and iPad?
- In Settings / Settings, click on your name.
- Go to iCloud.
- Turn on iCloud Drive.
- Your documents are in the Files application.
How to activate iCloud Drive on Mac?
- In the Apple menu, go to System Preferences then select Apple ID.
- Click iCloud.
- Fill in your Apple ID if it is not registered.
- Select iCloud Drive.
How to activate iCloud Drive on Windows PC?
In order to be able to access your iCloud Drive on your Windows PC, first be sure to download iCloud for Windows. Once this step is completed,
- Click Start, Applications, or Programs and select iCloud for Windows.
- Fill in your Apple ID.
- Go to iCloud Drive then click Apply.
How do I activate iCloud Drive on the web and on Android?
Although iCloud is an Apple storage platform, you still have the option of using a few services on the web.
To do this,
- Open a web page.
- Go to iCLoud.com and fill in your Apple IDs.
- That’s all.
Attention, on an Android device, you can have access to iCloud but Apple having closed the WebDAV connections, iCloud Drive is no longer accessible.
How to access your iCloud?
How to access iCloud on iPhone and iPad?
If you want access iCloud on your iPhone or iPad, you just need to go to the device settings and press iCloud. You will have access to all the features and will be able to benefit from the 5 GB of storage space offered.
How to access iCloud on Mac?
From your Mac, you will be able to access iCloud by doing the following:
- Go to the Apple menu then to System Preferences.
- Click on Apple ID and fill it in if necessary.
- Select iCloud.
How to access iCloud on PC?
For’access iCloud from your Windows PC, in the same way as above, you will need:
- Download the iCloud app for Windows.
- Restart the PC.
- Make sure iCloud for Windows is open. If it doesn’t open automatically, click Start, Applications, or Programs and open iCloud for Windows.
- Enter your Apple ID to log in.
How do I access iCloud on the web?
Similar to accessing iCloud Drive, the iCloud.com site allows you to access iCloud. To do this,
- Enter your Apple IDs and validate to open your session.
- A page will open with most compatible applications.
- Click iCloud Drive to view all of your saved files.
Manage iCloud on your iPhone and iPad
You have the possibility to store your Desktop and Documents folders in iCloud from your iPhone or tablet. If you want them to be saved automatically,
- Tap Settings.
- Touch Document Storage.
- Select the location where you want to automatically save your documents. If you choose to save to your iCloud, any changes you make to your files will be saved automatically.
When you choose to turn on Photos in iCloud, all of your memories are stored securely in iCloud. In order to save your photos and videos to iCloud,
- Click Settings, your name, iCloud.
- Touch Photos.
- Turn on iCloud Photos if the option is not active.
All you have to do is access your memories by clicking on the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad to see them displayed.
If you want delete photos or videos, you can do this directly in the App, they will be automatically deleted from iCloud.
Manage and upgrade storage
As we explained to you at the beginning of the article, you have 5 GB free storage space in iCloud. If you want to manage this storage space and upgrade it by freeing up space or purchasing additional storage at any time:
- Tap Settings, your name, iCloud.
- ICloud Storage or Manage Storage.
- If you want to change your plan, click Change storage plan.
Manage iCloud on your Windows PC
Once you have downloaded the iCloud for Windows application and that it is open, enter your username and password.
To access and manage your files,
- Open File Explorer.
- Click on the folder you want to manage.
- Select the features and content to keep up to date across all of your devices.
- Open iCloud for Windows
- On Photos, click Options
- Select iCloud Photos
- Click Finish, then Apply
This article explains in detail how to transfer your iCloud photos to Mac and PC.
For your files, the process is the same.
Manage and upgrade storage
If you want view the amount of iCloud storage space available,
- Open iCloud for Windows.
- Click on Storage.
- Select an application to see how much space it is using.
- If necessary, click on Buy more storage if you want to increase your plan.
In case you would like change your Apple ID, update your email address, postal address or other data, click on Account details and then on Manage Apple ID.
Manage iCloud in your web browser (for Android)
- Connect to iCloud.com using your Apple ID
- Go to iCloud Drive
- Double-click on the Desktop or Documents folder you want to manage
If you want to use a file or edit it, click on the cloud to download it to your device. To save your changes, upload your file to iCloud Drive so that you can later access your file from any device.
How to turn off iCloud Drive on Mac without losing document?
- Click on the Apple menu at the top left.
- Click on System Preferences.
- Go to iCloud.
- Uncheck the box next to iCloud Drive.
- Confirm your choice.
- Choose what to do with your files: Keep a copy of your iCloud Drive files on Mac (recommended) or Delete on Mac.
How to sync all your Apple devices?
- Setting, your name then iCloud.
- Fill in your Apple IDs.
- On the iCloud & Setup home page, select the different content you want to share between your Apple devices.
How to empty iCloud Drive?
- Settings – Your name – iCloud.
- Local storage and iCloud.
- Manage storage under iCloud.
- Select the option (s) you want to remove.
There you go, you know everything about iCloud Drive and the services it offers. You can now access and manage your files from your Apple device (iPhone, Mac or iPad), or from a Windows PC or Android smartphone.
If you are wondering why iCloud Drive is taking up space on your local storage or if you want to know the differences between iCloud Drive and Dropbox, we are preparing a new article for you! It should arrive soon, feel free to revisit the blog in a few days.