Apple is introducing a fast and fun new way to communicate with friends in watchOS 5. Little known to the general public, the Walkie-Talkie function of the Apple Watch allows you to communicate with other users in real time as you would with a real walkie-talkie (mobile radio transceiver). Find out in this guide how to configure and use the Walkie-Talkie feature.
Start using Walkie-talkie on Apple Watch
You may have heard of it before but never dared to use it? At a time when instant messaging apps like WhatsApp are booming, many are wondering if the Apple Watch’s Walkie-Talkie function is still right.
The question needs to be asked. Not that the function is totally useless, on the contrary, it has all its legitimacy. But now, talking to your watch in the street remains a bit ridiculous operation. Not everyone can be as cool as Michael Knight in K2000 (American Series).
If you have never used the Walkie-Talkie function, you should know that this application requires minimum configuration. It works on all Apple Watch including Series 1, only if you have watchOS 5.3 (minimum). Likewise, your iPhone must run under iOS 12.4 or higher versions.
Can’t see the yellow Talk icon appear in your device’s settings menu? Do not panic. You probably haven’t configured yet the FaceTime app on your iPhone. To do this, simply go to the settings of the iPhone, click on FaceTime then on the activate button.
How to add a friend?
You’re now ready to start an audio conversation from your smartwatch. However, before you begin, you’ll need to add friends and cross your fingers for them to accept your invitation.
- Click on the digital crown at the top right of the watch
- Select the yellow Walkie-Talkie icon
- Scroll down to the presentation screen of the application
- Choose from the list, the contact with whom you want to chat
- Please note, Apple Watch only displays contacts that have been previously saved in your iPhone’s phonebook.
Now all you have to do is wait for your friend to accept your invitation. Once the operation is authorized, your correspondent’s contact card will turn yellow. You are now connected. You will be able to initiate a push to talk call.
- Return to the Walkie-Talkie app
- Place your finger on the name of your contact
- Wait for the connection message to appear
- Hold down the talk button then speak
Important detail, you can adjust the volume of audio messages using the digital crown. Keep in mind that the Walkie-Talkie feature will never replace a phone call. However, this is a more effective method of communication than texting or emailing.
How to remove a friend from Walkie-talkie
This mode of communication is particularly addicting. It sometimes happens that some people abuse it. If this bothers you know that it is possible to remove a friend from their Walkie-Talkie contact list.
- Launch the Walkie-Talkie app
- Select the friend you want to remove
- Drag his name to the left
- Press the cross to delete the contact