Email marketing is one of the most effective ways to market things, and when a business emails you, they also send a follow-up, which tells the business if you open the email. -mail or not, which indirectly allows it to follow you. If you don’t want a marketing company to follow your email, there is a way to do it and we’ll show you how. In this guide, you will learn how to prevent your email from being tracked.
How do marketing companies track emails?
Before we get to our main topic, it’s important that you know how marketing companies track emails. It all starts with a very small pixel-sized image that they send with the email. So when a user opens the email and your email client loads the image, they need to contact the sender’s server to retrieve the image, and when your client does, the server logs that you have opened the email and also logs the IP address and other details. This way, the marketing companies track your emails.
How do you stop marketing companies from tracking emails?
Now that you know how marketing companies track email, let’s talk about the solution you can use to prevent marketing companies from tracking email. The solution to stopping them is to prevent your email client from automatically downloading images, which means that when you open the email, your email client will not automatically contact the server and be unable to follow you. Now, as for the process of restricting email clients, it varies, but we will be sharing the step by step guides for all popular email clients. Let’s go.
How to avoid email tracking on Gmail?
Gmail is arguably the most popular email client with millions of users around the world. It comes with tons of privacy features including the one that prevents marketing companies from tracking emails. In the following sections, we’ll explain how you can prevent Google from automatically uploading images to web apps and Gmail.
Using the Gmail web app
- Go to Gmail.com and sign in.
- Once you are in the email client, click on thegear icon in the upper right corner.
- Now click on See all settings.
- In the settings, access the tab General and search for the section Pictures.
- Here, select “Ask before viewing external images”.
Using the Gmail app
- Open your gmail app and log in.
- Now press theicon hamburger in the upper left corner.
- Scroll down and tap on the settings.
- If you are using more than one email account, select the one you want to stop tracking.
- Once you are in the settings scroll down and find the section Pictures.
- Press Images and select the section “Ask before viewing external images”.
- That’s it.
How to avoid email tracking on AOL?
Another very popular email client is AOL, and like other email clients, you can also prevent it from automatically downloading images from external sources which will stop email tracking. Here’s how to prevent your email from being tracked on AOL.
- Go to the AOL website and enter your login credentials.
- Once the mail client is open, now go to the options and select Mail settings.
- Now find the section General and click on it.
- In the General section, search Reading Category and select “Hide pictures in mail from unknown senders”.
How to avoid email tracking in Outlook?
Outlook is an email client owned by Microsoft, and it is also very popular. If you are an Outlook user and want to prevent your client from automatically downloading remote content, follow these steps.
- Go to Outlook.com and sign in using your credentials.
- Once connected, click on thegear icon, which you will find at the top right of the screen.
- Now click on Show all Outlook settings.
- Go to section General, then to section Confidentiality and data.
- Now make sure that “Always use the Outlook service to upload images » is checked.
How to Avoid Email Tracking on Yahoo?
Yahoo is another well known email client which is used by millions of users across the world. It also allows you to restrict images from external sources which will prevent marketing companies from tracking emails. Here’s how you can restrict emails from external sources on Yahoo.
- Go to Yahoo.com and sign in.
- Now find thegear icon in the upper right corner of the screen and click on it.
- Click on More parameters.
- Now go to the section Display of e-mails and select “Ask before viewing external images” under Show Pictures in the Messages section.
How to avoid email tracking on iCloud?
iCloud is a very popular option, especially among Apple users, and you can also prevent it from uploading content remotely. Here is how you can do it.
- Go to the iCloud website and sign in using your credentials.
- Once connected, click on thegear icon in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Now go to the section Preferences and uncheck “Load remote content into messages”.
How to Avoid Email Tracking on Apple Mail?
Apple Mail is the default email client for iPhone users, and like other clients, you can prevent Apple Mail from uploading content remotely. Here is prevent your email from being tracked on Apple Mail.
- Unlock your iPhone.
- Find now theapplication of settings and press it.
- In settings, scroll down, find the section Mail and press it.
- Scroll down and switch “Load remote images » in gray to deactivate it.
That’s all. In this guide, you’ve learned how to prevent your email from being tracked. We have also explained step by step guides for all popular email clients including Gmail, Yahoo, Apple Mail, and Outlook. Also consult this guide where we have shared the best mail apps for android.