Want to watch videos, movies or play your favorite iOS games on your TV?
Here are the 6 best techniques for viewing content from your iPad or iPhone.
Connect an iPhone to a TV Using a Digital AV Lightning Adapter
The Digital AV Lightning Adapter is the easiest way to connect your iPhone to your TV. It has an HDMI output for connection to the TV, a Lightning port to connect your iPhone / iPad and an input port to simultaneously charge your device.
Then the connection process between your two devices is simple, you just need to follow these 4 steps:
- Connect your HDMI cable to the outlet you have chosen on your TV. Then, plug the other end into the Lightning adapter.
- Connect the adapter to the port of your iPhone or iPad.
- If you want to charge your device at the same time, then plug your cable into the input port of the adapter.
- Turn on your television, and using your remote control, select the HDMI output chosen in step 1.
Your iPhone’s home screen will then appear on your TV and just have to select the video of your choice.
Note that all streaming apps can be used, such as Netflix, YouTube, Dailymotion, France TV, 6play, myCANAL… Now you will enjoy HD (High Definition) quality.
To go to your iOS control center on your TV, slide your finger to the left and choose the video output that will display the desired content, as with AirPlay.
Connect iPhone to TV via AirPlay
Thanks to Apple’s AirPlay function, enjoy a wireless connection between your iPhone / iPad and your TV or Apple TV! To do this :
- Connect your device to the same Wi-Fi network as your compatible Apple TV or smart TV.
- Find and open the video you want to stream.
- Touch theAirPlay icon represented by a square with a triangle.
- Choose your TV.
Note that some video applications, like myCANAL or ARTE, have their own AirPlay function. To watch ARTE for example, open its application, select Airplay, then Apple TV and you’re done!
Connect iPhone to Samsung TV
Some new Samsung TVs come with the Apple TV app. Presented by default, all you have to do is select it in the settings. Here’s the procedure to follow :
- Go to Settings.
- Meeting on Accounts, then on Log in.
- After which, select Logging in on a mobile device and choose your device.
- Enter the code displayed on the TV screen into your iPhone.
- Complete the connection by following the on-screen instructions.
Mirroring the screen of your iPhone or iPad
On iPhone and iPad, Apple offers a feature to mirror their screen to your Apple TV or compatible Smart TV. For this to work, both devices will need to be on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Control Center.
- Son iPhone X (or later), or on an iPad with iPadOS 13 (or later), swipe down on your screen.
On iPhone 8 (or earlier) or iOS 11 (or earlier), swipe up on your screen.
- Touch thetwo overlapping squares icon.
- Select your TV.
If an AirPlay passcode appears on your TV screen, then enter it on your iOS or iPadOS.
Watch photos and videos on your TV
You may not be able to watch streaming videos from an app or the internet on the TV. This is because only developers determine which video applications are compatible with AirPlay.
To get around this, nothing is better than the technique known as mirroring, it is a reproduction of the screen and all the content of your smartphone on your television.
- Go to Control Center, select AirPlay, then Apple TV.
- Open the app Photo and press Share.
- Choose photos by tapping on each one until a blue circle with a white arrow appears.
- Select AirPlay to display your photos on your TV screen.
To scroll through them automatically, like a slideshow, return to Share, select the one of your choice, press Slideshow, then Apple tv.
Apple Composite AV Cable
If you have a 30 pin iPhone or iPad (first generations of iPad, iPhone 4s…) then your best option is composite AV cable.
This cable works the same as the Digital AV Lightning Adapter, explained above. However, you will need the composite video (video signal) input from your TV, not the HDMI.
Your videos must also be of SD (Standard Definition) quality, HD not being compatible.