We don’t teach you anything by telling you that your Apple Watch has some awesome health and fitness features. On the other hand, you may not have known it, but it can also help you use your Mac remotely.
This is because from simple unlocking to controlling apps and music, you can control it using your watch when your mouse is not at hand.
Unlock your Mac
In order to be able to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch, your devices will need to meet certain hardware and software requirements.
As a first step, it is essential to ensure that their operating system is updated and, therefore, compatible. For it :
- On your Mac, just hold down Option pressed.
- Click on theicon of the Apple.
- Go to System information.
- Under Network, select Wireless, then find Interfaces.
- Check that the Automatic unlocking be mentioned as Managed.
In the menu bar, make sure that the Wireless and Bluetooth are turned on, and your Mac and Apple Watch are both signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID. Also, your watch must be configured with an access code.
Once these conditions are met:
- Click on the Apple.
- Open them System Preferences.
- Select Security and Confidentiality.
- Under the tab General, Check the box Allow Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.
Now, the next time your computer asks you to enter your password to confirm an app installation, wake it up, or change a setting, your watch will automatically unlock it.
Control the music
To enjoy your favorite music on your Mac and with your watch, open the app Remote on your Apple Watch. Then follow the 3 steps below:
- Touch the option Add a device.
- Write down the four-digit number that appears.
- Then open Music on your Mac, then select your Apple Watch under Devices.
On Macs prior to Catalina, click the Remote control located at the top left of the window itunes.
When prompted, type in your Apple Watch’s four-digit number and you’ll see a message telling you that the Remote app can now control iTunes or Music. Click on OK.
All you have to do is start playing the song of your choice on your Mac. On your watch, you will then see a reading screen appear.
Open an application
In addition to controlling your music, thanks to the application Mobile Mouse Server, you can open any application on your Mac via your smartwatch.
First of all, download the utility Mobile Mouse Server on your Mac, then follow the setup steps. Once done :
- Download the app Mobile Mouse for your iPhone.
- Install it on your Apple Watch.
- Open the app on your watch and select the items you want to control.
Note, however, that you can only control one thing at a time.