One of the strengths of the Apple Watch is that it offers a fully customizable dial system. Colors, wallpapers, type of information, hands, you can adapt your watch to your desires and needs. And best of all, the latest version of watchOS lets you share your watch faces with friends or family.
Create your own dial
The Apple Watch offers 34 different dials by default, not counting the Hermès and Nike variants. Of course, it is possible to personalize them by changing the colors and styles. There are also apps on the App Store with thousands of original designs.
- Open the face of your Apple Watch
- Slide your finger from edge to edge of the screen to scroll through the entire screen collection
- Among the screens offered are analog activity (activity rings), artist (wallpaper that changes automatically), digital activity (the time associated with your sports progress), astronomy (earth in 3D), California, chronograph, color, chronometry, exploration, gradient
- Once your dial has been chosen, place and hold your finger on the screen of your watch
- Press the edit button
- Swipe your finger to the left
- Then select the model, style, colors, patterns
- Some dials offer complications. These are areas in which you can choose to display specific information (date, current music, calendar, etc.)
- Select one of the proposed complications
- Rotate the Digital Crown to choose the information of your choice
- Press the crown to confirm your choice
You can also add a new version of watch faces to your Apple Watch. To do this, just keep your finger pressed on the screen and then swipe to the left until you see the small logo +.
Then all you have to do is turn the Digital Crown to cycle through the various pre-recorded dials and then modify them according to your own needs. Once the operation is complete, the dial will appear in the my dials section on your iPhone
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone
- Click on the my watch tab then scroll down to the my dials section
- You can then change the display order of your dials
- To delete a dial, simply drag it upwards and click on the delete button
Transfer your watch faces to another Apple Watch
Does your connected watch work with WatchOS 7? Good news, you can now create personalized watch faces and send them to your friends’ watches with just a few clicks. It’s very easy to do, here’s how it goes.
- Display the watch face you want to share on your Apple Watch
- Then keep your finger pressed on the screen until you see the edit and share button
- Click the share icon (square with an arrow pointing up)
- Press the add contact button
- Click on the name of the person you want to send the watch face to
- If the latter does not appear in the list, you will have to click on the dictate button (microphone) and say his name aloud.
- Then select from the list one of the proposed SMS templates
- You can also dictate a personal message
- Scroll the window down using the Digital Crown
- Press the send button
Please note that you can only send a dial to one user at a time. Your correspondent will then only have to click on the link contained in the message. The new dial will automatically appear in the app Apple watch of his iPhone.
For people having some difficulties with the handling of watchOS, know that it is possible to transfer dials from their smartphone. It’s also fast and much more comfortable.
- Launch the Watch app on your iPhone
- Click on the my watch tab then select the watch face to share
- Tap the share button at the top right of the window
- Select from the list the type of message you want to send (SMS, mail, iMessage, WhatsApp)
- Choose the name of your correspondent in your directory
- Write a short text and press the send button
Note that if the dial uses complications from applications that your correspondent does not have, the system will offer to download them from the App Store. If you don’t want to install them, just click continue without this app. The Apple Watch will take care of modifying the face.