Although Windows 11 can download drivers for hardware without user interaction, sometimes you don’t want the system to install them automatically. For example, if the system keeps trying to install an incompatible version or a buggy driver causing unwanted problems. Or you may want to prevent Windows 11 from automatically installing drivers because there is a newer or older version that works better on your computer.
Whatever the reason, Windows 11 includes an option to disable the ability to automatically download and install device drivers.
This guide will teach you the steps to change settings and prevent Windows 11 from automatically installing drivers on your PC.
Disable automatic driver installation in Windows 11
To prevent Windows 11 from automatically installing device drivers, follow these steps:
1. Open the settings on Windows 11.
2. Click System > System information.
3. In the section Device Specificationsclick the option Advanced System Settings.
4. Click on the tab Material.
5. Click the button Device Installation Settings.
6. Select the option No (your device may not work as expected).
7. Click the button Save Changes.
8. Click the button okay.
After completing the steps, Windows 11 will no longer automatically install drivers for new devices. If you are adding a new graphics card or printer, you will need to download and install the drivers manually.
Disable Automatic Driver Installation from Group Policy
You can also use the Local Group Policy Editor to prevent the operating system from installing driver updates. However, this option is only available on Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, and Education.
To automatically disable driver installations with Group Policy, follow these steps:
1. Open To start up.
2. Research gpedit and click on the first result to open thelocal group policy editor.
3. Browse the following path:
Configuration ordinateur > Modèles d'administration > Composants Windows > Windows Update > Gérer les mises à jour proposées à partir de Windows Update
4. Double click on the option Do not include the driver with Windows Update.
5. Check the option Enabled.
6. Click the button To apply.
7. Click the button okay.
After completing the steps, the policy will be enabled and Windows Update will stop providing drivers during updates.
Disable automatic driver installation from registry
If you are using Windows 11 Home, you will not have access to the Local Group Policy Editor. However, you can disable the feature through the registry.
Warning : It is essential to note that modifying the Windows registry can lead to serious problems if not used correctly. It is assumed that you know what you are doing and have created a full backup of your system before proceeding.
1. Open To start up.
2. Research regedit and click on the first result to open the Register.
3. Browse the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionDriverSearching
4. Double click on the DWORD key SearchOrderConfig and change its value from 1 at O.
5. Click okay.
6. Restart the PC.
Once you have completed the steps, set SearchOrderConfig on O will prevent drivers from updating each time Windows 11 checks for new updates.
You can still undo the changes by following the same steps, but at step 4, change the value of the DWORD key from O at 1.