During the installation of the Windows operating system, you were asked to create an account. You can easily configure a username and password in the Windows installation wizard. However, changing the username in Windows 11 is not as easy as you might expect.
There can be various reasons why someone would want to change their account name on Windows 11. For example, the account name might be wrong, it might be misspelled, and so on. Additionally, changing your username is common when you buy a pre-built laptop from a third-party retail store.
So if you are looking for ways to change your account name on Windows 11, you are reading the right guide. In this article, we will share a step-by-step guide on how to change account name in Windows 11.
How to change your Windows 11 username
Important: We used Windows 11 to demonstrate the methods. You can implement the same process to change the account name on Windows 10.
1. Change the username in Windows 11 from the Control Panel
In this method, we will be using the Windows 11 Control Panel to change the username. Follow some of the simple steps given below.
1. First of all, click on the search window and type in Control Panel. Then open the Control panel from the list.
2. In the Control Panel, click User accounts.
3. Now select account that you want to change.
4. On the next screen, click on the link Modify the name Account.
5. On the next screen, enter a new account name for your account. When finished, click on the button Change name.
That’s it! You have finished. The new name will be reflected in the welcome screen and on the start screen.
2. Change the username in Windows 11 using the Run command
In this method, we will use the Windows 11 Run dialog box to change the account name. Here are some of the simple steps that you need to follow.
1. First, press the key. Windows + R to open the dialog Execute.
2. In the Run dialog box, type netplwiz and press the Enter button.
3. Now select the account whose name you want to change. Once selected, click on the button Properties.
4. Now, under the General tab, type what you want the name to be in the field. username. When finished, click on the button To apply.
That’s it! You have finished. This is how you can change the account name on Windows 11.
In this guide, you have learned how to change the username in Windows 11. If you have any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comments. In addition, also consult this guide if you want to learn how to configure a PIN code on your Windows 11 PC.