If your webcam isn’t working, there are ways to fix it. We are going to show you how to fix a faulty webcam using most internal and external webcams for PCs running Windows 10, 8 and 7. If you have an Apple computer, find out what to do when your Mac camera is not working. .
SEE AS WELL: The 7 best budget webcams in 2021
Causes of a webcam not working
A webcam that isn’t working could be due to faulty hardware, missing or outdated drivers, issues with your privacy settings, or issues with your antivirus software.
Windows usually installs drivers automatically when it detects new hardware. However, if you recently upgraded to Windows 10, you may need to update your hardware drivers manually. Some Windows Store apps only support newer webcam models, so your old device may not be compatible. However, most desktop programs still support older cameras.
Windows 10 offers a feature that disables the internal webcam. Keeping your webcam turned off when not in use is a great idea to protect your privacy. However, it can cause problems if you accidentally enable this feature.
How to fix a webcam that is not working
Follow these steps, in the order presented, to troubleshoot your webcam and get it working again.
- Check your antivirus settings. Antivirus software can sometimes interfere with webcams. Examine the software settings to see if your antivirus is preventing your camera from launching.
- Connect the webcam to another computer. If you are using an external camera, plug it into another device to make sure it works. If you are having problems on more than one computer, the problem is with the webcam.
- Check the connection of the device. Sometimes shaking the cable or unplugging and plugging it back in can fix the problem.
- Check the USB port. Connection problems may occur on the computer side. Plug something else into the USB port to rule out a bad or poorly mapped port.
- Make sure the correct device is enabled. If you have a built-in camera and an external webcam plugged in, apps might not know which one to use. Check the app settings and find the option to select your preferred device.
- Consult the manufacturer. For external webcams, see the user manual or the manufacturer’s website for more information. Many manufacturers offer troubleshooting apps that check common device-specific settings.
- Update the webcam drivers (Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7). If the webcam driver is outdated, it may not work correctly.
- Change your webcam system settings (Windows 10, Windows 8). A system setting may interfere with the operation of the webcam.
NOTE: You must be logged in as the administrator of your device to change the driver settings.