Want to free up space on your iPhone, while keeping your most important conversations? Store your SMS on a Mac, PC or another iPhone!
Save your SMS using iCloud
If your iPhone is saved on iCloud, then your SMS (as well as your photos, videos, call history, ringtones, etc.) are copied there automatically. It will therefore be very easy for you to restore them to your new smartphone.
We especially recommend this technique when you buy a new iPhone.
For good reason, the downside with saving messages to iCloud is that it is part of a set. If you want to transfer messages from your iPhone to another model, then you need to restore all its settings.
In addition, with this process, all new messages that you have received on your iPhone will unfortunately be deleted.
You will find here the list of all elements backed up by iCloud.
To transfer your messages from your iPhone to another via iCloud, follow the steps below.
For iOS 8 or later versions, go to Settings, tap on [votre nom], then tap iCloud and activate ICloud backup.
For iOS7 and earlier versions, go to Settings, iCloud, then on ICloud backup.
Then follow the 4 steps below:
- Check that ICloud backup is activated.
- Press on Save now, and wait until the end of the operation. Don’t turn off Wi-Fi.
- Turn on your new iPhone. Configure it if you haven’t already. Then, when asked, select Restore from iCloud and following.
If it was already configured, you will need to reset it. To do this, open the Settings and go to General, Reset, then Delete contents and settings.
- Enter your Apple ID and Password.
Forward your messages to a Mac
If you want to transfer your SMS to another iPhone via backup, use third-party software.
For this technique, we used PhoneView (English only). There is the trial version, free, and a paid version, at around € 27.
Here’s how to do it:
- Install PhoneView on your Mac.
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac.
- Launch PhoneView and click okay to the message PhoneView would like to access your contacts.
- In PhoneView, click Archives displayed in the alert window.
- Click on Messages in the sidebar, then okay in the Now Loading Phone Data window. It will take a few minutes to transfer your stored data, follow its progress with the displayed blue bar.
- The names of people with whom you have had conversations will appear in the column Last name. Select one to see your exchanged SMS.
- You have the possibility of dragging and dropping the name of this person on your Desktop in order to keep said conversation in pdf format.
- To retrieve all your messages, select All (All), then click Copy from iPhone (Copy from iPhone).
Choose your save location and click Save (Save).
PhoneView also allows you to convert your pdf SMS to other formats, such as .txt, .tsv or .tab, csv or .xml, very convenient for an Excel file, for example.
However, copying these text messages again in the Messages application will not be possible. To read your SMS, you can always use compatible applications like iBooks which is a very good alternative, but we prefer GoodReader, especially for SMS exported in pdf.
Otherwise, you can send them to yourself by email or copy them with the ITunes File Sharing.
Transfer your messages to a PC
If you opt for the PC, you can transfer your text messages and Pictures ! Like on a Mac, you will need to go through third-party software.
We chose CopyTrans, it is simple to use. Its trial version even gives you the possibility to save a conversation of 200 exchanges.
Once downloaded, install CopyTrans Contacts, then click Start.
Before proceeding further, make sure you have the correct version of iTunes, Music, or Apple drivers. If this is not the case, you are not without recourse since CopyTrans has created a help support.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer.
- After just a few minutes you will see your SMS loading, the loading time depends on the number of messages and photos you have (in addition to those from third-party apps, like Viber or WhatsApp).
- In the list of your contacts that appears, select the conversations to keep and export.
- Click on Export Selection (top left), different export formats are available.
We opted for the Word format and then chose the location of our backup.
Check that the backup and copy have been performed correctly.
And there you have it, your SMS with their emoticons have been transferred!