Do you like to listen to the sound of the rain? Research has shown that certain white noise makes us more focused and increases our productivity. Some background noise generators can help you cover up annoying noises and allow you to create your ideal environment for working and relaxing. With these noise generators, you can mix different sounds and create your perfect sound environment to suit your personal needs and taste. From relaxing piano to coffee shops to stormy rains, you won’t be disappointed.
Not only that, according to a study published in 2002, low-scattering white noise could be a “non-pharmacological alternative”; simple, safe and preferable to many sedating hypnotic drugs used for insomnia or the effects of stress. Diffusion of white noise into the room has been shown to direct or facilitate sleep for both newborn and adult babies, possibly by reducing the signal-to-noise ratio of ambient sound (which may remind the newborn of the intrauterine environment). 87% of newborns experimentally exposed to white noise fell asleep within five minutes, compared to 25%. Baby Relax uses a unique combination of light, white noise, nature sounds and videos to gently soothe and put baby to sleep.
SEE AS WELL: 7 Ways to Find Music and Songs from Series
A few years ago, psychologist Dave Elliot from the University of Cumbria discovered what makes certain pieces of music particularly relaxing. I recently partnered up with a songwriter and used Elliot’s findings to create a scientifically designed piece of music to help you fall asleep. It was to have around 90 beats per minute, a 4/4 beat, involve piano and strings, and contain narrow note sequences where the notes moved from low to high.
01 – Noisli | Web | iOS | Android
Improve your concentration and increase your productivity. Mix different sounds and create your perfect environment. Noisli is a fantastic background noise and color generator ideal for working and relaxing. It includes lots of high quality sounds to help you focus while you work, relieve your anxiety, or just relax while reading or before bed. Noisli also provides a color changing background, bringing you the healthy benefits of chromotherapy.
Sounds available: Rain, Thunderstorm, Wind, Forest with birds, Leaves, Stream, Seaside with seagulls and relaxing waves, Water, Fireplace, Summer night with owls and crickets, Fan, Roaring train, Coffee, Noise white, Pink noise, Brown noise.
02 – MyNoise | Web | ios
Noise machines can be used in different ways throughout your daily life and can be used by all audiences. They can not only help you concentrate while working in a noisy environment or calm your anxiety, but they are also helpful with insomnia or tinnitus. Fortunately, you don’t need a specific reason to start listening to our noise generators.
Noise machines are great for blocking out background noises, whether you’re trying to work, study, relax, or even sleep. Compared to conventional noise blocking machines, myNoise noise generators can be matched to the frequency characteristics of the ambient noise to be blocked, and thus achieve better camouflage, or – in other words – greater masking efficiency at quieter levels.
- Natural sounds – Distant thunder, rain on a tent, Irish coast, fireplace, sound of rain, white rain, cat purr, wind sound, cave water, ocean waves, tropical rain, summer night, intertidal, water dark, desert wind, rainforest, Sound of waterfall, jungle life, crystal stream, myNoisli, water stream and tropical birds
- Atmospheres – Japanese Garden, Church Patrons, Grassland, Primeval Forest, Healing Water, Rainy Riverbank, Winter Walk, Night Garden, Spring Walk, Tibetan Spirit, Palm Garden, RPG Dark Forest, RPG Elements, Underwater, RPG Dungeon , Prehistory, Fairy Pond, Exam Time, Suburb, Arctic Wolves, Underwater Dreams, Berber Tent, Poltergeist RPG, Grazeland, Paragliding, In Utero, RPG Battlefield and What the Farm
- Sound landscapes – Osmose, M. Rhodes, Mournful Chimes, Twilight, Friends of Winter, Circular Breeze, Telecaster Licks, Saturn Rings, Wooden Chimes, Temple Bells, Guitar Mashup, Bells Breath, Oblivion, A Trip of Mind, Perception Cloud and Deserted
You can experience the relaxed feeling of a cozy coffee at home while enjoying a surge in productivity. Just the right amount of background noise to boost your workday, on demand. Does the informal atmosphere of a café influence your creativity? Stay focused, get a creative boost, or just kick back and relax creating a stress-free vibe like bloggers and writers around the world.
- Buzz of a busy Texas Cafe + Piano bar, outdoor bistro, ocean lounge, cozy fireplace, rainy patio
- Charming Cafes de Paris + Piano bar, Outdoor bistro, Street corner café, Cozy fireplace, Rainy terrace
- Soft hum of a quiet restaurant + buffet car, country bar, snow cafe, nightclub, windy terrace
04 – Coffitivity | Web | iOS | Android
Do the sounds of cafes make you more creative? Research says yes! Coffitivity recreates the ambient sounds of a cafe to stimulate your creativity and help you work better. Backed by science and backed by a community of creative people using the app every day, Coffitivity is the perfect addition to your work arsenal!
- Morning Murmur – A gentle hum starts the day
- Lunchtime Lounge – Lively lunchtime rush chat
- University undertones – The scholarly sounds of a campus cafe
- Paris Paradise – Energizing atmosphere of the City of Light
- Brazil Bistro – The musical chatter of a Brazilian cafe
- Texas Teahouse – Powerful Sounds of a Great State
05 – Noizio | macOS | ios
Do you feel that the noise of the big city is too much to bear? Just turn on the sound and let yourself be overwhelmed by the tranquil sounds of nature. Whether you want to feel seated by a fireplace under a cozy blanket or meditate on a desolate seaside as gusts of wind ruffle your hair, Noizio will be there to set the mood. With this ambient sound equalizer, not only will you be able to relax, but you will also increase your productivity, trying to concentrate on your work!
15 ambient sounds: October rain, coffee, thunderstorm, campfire, winter wind, sea waves, stream, summer night, sunny day, deep space, sailing yacht, indoor train, farm, chimes wind turbines, blue whales
06 – Rainy mood | Web | iOS | Android
Rainy Mood is a mobile rain experience to help you sleep, study, and relax. The new Rainy Mood app offers four fully customizable rain scenes: Classic, Ocean, Countryside and Coffee. With stunning 3D HD / 48 kHz sound and an algorithmic randomizer, your brain will naturally relax and focus.
Atmosphere is the perfect application to relax. Enjoy a variety of relaxing and calming sounds spread across different environments. Just choose the sounds you like and create your favorite combination, sleep, meditation, yoga, relieve stress, beat anxiety and insomnia or just enjoy nature.
Enjoy the calm of the rain, the strong of the storm or the stream of a river. Atmosphere has environments for everyone: beach, forest, city, home, submarine, park, countryside and oriental.
08 – Noice | Android
Noice is an application that allows you to create a personalized mood using clips from ambient noise sources. Create your perfect environment by combining different sounds to muffle distractions so you can focus on your work or generate serene and peaceful environments that encourage you to fall asleep.
- Set of life (birds, crickets, wolf, human heartbeat, etc.)
- Forest ensemble (bonfire, night, wind, palm trees, etc.)
- Monsoon set (rain, thunders)
- Teleportation kit (cafe, library, office, seaside, shore, etc.)
- Set of vehicles (moving train, in flight, creaking ship, electric car, etc.)
- Raw noise (white, pink, Brownian)
09 – Moszen | Web
Moszen is a free web service that provides ambient sounds from natural environments to help you relax and avoid stress in your daily life.
READ ALSO: 5 best relaxing sounds apps for Android
Babies love white noise. They spent 9 months in the womb quite noisy, so they are used to the “noise”. The white background noise is actually soothing to your baby and is similar to the kind of sounds he or she would hear in the womb.
The app contains a great selection of soothing white noises and lullabies. It has a simple timer which saves your battery. In addition to that, it contains soothing “shh-shhhh” sounds recorded by parents. The app does not require an internet connection, so you can use it wherever you are.
- White noise reduces stress in babies
- White noise helps babies sleep
- White noise helps babies cry less